Sunday, October 11, 2009

Citizenship and Democracy in Mathematics

Response to--" Citizenship Education in The Context of School Mathematics" by Ellain Simmit

I felt very anxious holding the article in my hands.I was very curious to know about the role of Mathematics making good citizens.Before this I have a very strong feeling that people who learn mathematics are very critical minded and also try to find logic behind each and every task that they do.Sometime I try to see these qualities in my students and even in myself also.But after reading the article I found that really there are many facts which shows how math education connects us directly to the society.All the mathematical study is a number game and every field of today's society is based on those numbers.As we're in a society of quantifiers.I think the article is ponting about the same theme which we are learning during our educational studies that we, as a teacher have to make students able enough not only for finding right answers of their math problems but also having critical and a deep understandings.I feel every person's life go through many plus and minuses as well and one can gain terminology to balance those plus and minus by learning mathematics.We as a human being are the part of society and our every move effects the whole society aroud us. So as a teacher our first priority should be to search the methods which would serve the dual purpose of teachinng mathematics i.e for educating students to be active citizens.I liked the idea of building community in the math classroom and to focus on explanations, multiple and diverse solutions.I can think about the techniques to apply in my own classroom so that I can lead my students towards constuctiveness,and I can hope that they might be able to solve the real life problems while living in a democratic society.

No comments:

Post a Comment